Resigning from a job, selling a house and/or car, and leaving family and friends to move abroad can be scary. But I did it in 2006. And now I’m sharing the steps (in the order that they appeared) that led me to work up the nerve to move abroad:
- Get fateful email from husband: “I got the offer.”
- Google, “Should I move abroad?”
- Eat lots of high fructose corn syrup.
- Google, “Living abroad.”
- Toss. Turn. Repeat.
- Wear sunglasses to cover up bags under eyes.
- Remember who is president (2006).
- Repeat #7. A lot.
- Go to work. Stare at vacation balance. Shake head.
- Realize looking back and thinking, “what if?” would suck.
If you’re living abroad, what made you decide to go? If you’re not, what’s holding you back?